Search This Blog

Thursday, July 4, 2024

Bottle feeding, not for the weak. Feb. 2022

     As a city girl taking on farm life in my retirement, being clueless does help a lot.  If I don't know I am not afraid of what lies in front of me.

    I have had to learn everything as I go.  That being said I may have found a different life style for my retirement. I do not regret my choice but it has been a life altering experience.  It is not like dog rescue at all.  I am not afraid of dogs so it was easier to work with them.  Now the animals are a lot more powerful and do not respond to voice, or at least mine.  Horses, cows, goats and those little Velociraptor Raptors.  I never thought I would be a snack pusher, they all look at me like a free vending machine. Just push me around and the snacks just fall out of my pockets.

    I love my little farm no matter how much grief they give me, the joy totally out weighs grief. I have gotten some injuries that I have lied about getting because of the embarrassment of how I got them.  Now I never thought I would like cows but discovered the miniature size and thought they would make a great addition. 

    I found a couple of White park males that where in my price range. I do know I do not want to milk any cows, that is a demanding job that is not for me.  These boys where bottle babies so they came here young. I was instructed on how to mix there milk replacer and feed the boys.  The size of the bottles made me feel like this was not going to be easy but still I learned how to hold them so I could feed both of them at the same time.

    I have learned cows and goats when nursing bang the mammas utter to get the milk moving, I guess. Now that banging is strong and hard. I seen the baby goats hit their moms utter so hard it took her off the ground.  Now when you're bottle feeding two cows at the same time I learned quick that their banging is hard.  May I say it knocked me off my feet the first time they did it.  I was totally unprepared for the bang. I quickly leaned on the wall when I got up and found that it kept me standing while I fed the two little Hulk Hogan's.  I put the bottles under each arm and braced myself for the bangs that where coming. The bangs are not the only thing I learned. They also pull the nipple.  So right after they pull me away from the wall the bang comes. I never thought I would become a ping pong ball for two little cows. I must say it was a leaning experience that taught me, no not again..

    Now the boys are 10-11 months old and they have filled out nicely, but the attitude is head strong and they are bull headed. LOL no pun intended. When they want to go out to the yard that is not fenced, I have tie them out so they don't go walk about. We walk out to their tie outs, seem so easy but they resist and I have to pull them out because they want to start grazing as soon as their head clears the gate. It is not easy for my tired old body.  They say stay active you live longer but this is going to  kill me.  





No comments:

Post a Comment